Home

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Guilt Free Breaks

I've been a terrible blogger lately. Both my boys have been terribly sick. I've sprained my ankle yet again. I'm eating gluten so that I can be tested for an intolerance and it is sapping my energy. Christmas is around the corner and I still need to do so much (shopping, crafting, baking, candy making, cards, etc...). With all of that blogging has been set on the back burner.

I have been feeling guilty about my lack of blogging. Especially on my family blog. I love to blog. I enjoy it. And I feel like I need to keep up with it. But guilt? Is that really necessary?

I've been asking myself this question a lot lately. December is overwhelming and I feel like it really shouldn't be. To me, this month is a time to remember the life of Jesus Christ. It is a time of good deeds and good will.

So I have decided to set guilt aside. Too much of my life has been accompanied by guilt that was unnecessary and usually un-needed (and always unwelcome). Instead of stressing about everything not getting done I have been trying to focus on the things that truly matter.

Like these two:


Guilt causes us to have feelings of inadequacy about ourselves. This is unhealthy. It is also ridiculous. When you have really done something heinous then I feel that guilt has a place. Otherwise, should we be feeling guilty that we took time to hold and rock our sick baby instead of writing blogs or getting our Christmas cards addressed? I don't think so. Some things are important, others are more so, and we are only one person with only one life to live. Let's do the most important things and let the others deal with it. Life is too short to feel like we aren't good enough because we had guilt over missing one workout or eating fast food for dinner one in a while. You get the picture.

P.S.
There is still time to enter the giveaway. It is open until the New Year! But I have a magic number of entries in mind that we need to hit. So keep getting the word out and please, enter more than once!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I was feeling overwhelmed about Christmas, so we had a family meeting. We each listed what we enjoyed most about the holiday. I love attending the HS Christmas concert, trying a new recipe, and making a new craft/ornament. Jesse wants to see the lights at Temple Square and attend the ward Christmas party. Kaysen wants to deliver gifts to neighbors and go sledding after Christmas. Bryant loves the Wilson Christmas Eve party. We wrote down everything on the calendar. I'm not overwhelmed anymore, and I decided to just enjoy the holiday. I decided we'd send out "Jaret is going on a mission" cards in a few months rather than Christmas cards. I think sometimes we worry so much about what Christmas "should be," that we don't enjoy what Christmas really is.