Home

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Mum


I just got home from dropping my mom off at the airport. She was here for 8 days, and yet as I drove away from the airport I got tears in my eyes and started to miss her already. We had a lot of fun together while she was here. And it's always nice to have another person around to help with my little one. I had forgotten how luxurious it is to take a shower before noon. Mum spoiled us rotten while she was here: buying Cormac new clothes, me a new pair of boots, and taking us out to eat. She's sweet like that. And self-less. And I'm still a little brat sometimes and fail to let on how much I really do appreciate and love her.

Mother's are an amazing thing. Who else has so much influence over the rest of your life. Mom and I talk, look, and laugh alike. We have so many of the same mannerisms. We share many interests and dislike many of the same things. She was the one who shaped my future when I was young. I remember how much I loved coming home to a mom in the house. I was very blessed that way. When Mom wasn't home after school it was such a let down, even if I didn't have anything to say to her.

I've been thinking, with this last visit from my mom, that I really want to make sure I'm the kind of mom that my kids will have good memories of, like I do of my mom. Childhood blows by too fast, I want to be there to savor every moment, so that when I am holding my grandkids on my lap I can tell them how they are similar or different from their parents when they were young. I want to instill healthy habits and traditions in my kids. And I want them to flourish and develop into the polite, happy, creative, talented people that I know they are. I know that moms aren't perfect, and I know I certainly won't be, but no one can love my children like I can.


So today I am thankful for mothers. Especially my own. Cormac cried when she left. I got teary too. We will miss her. I will miss watching her hold Cormac and read him stories. I will miss hearing her tell him that she loves him and seeing him run to her with a new book or toy. Thanks Mum for coming and spoiling us. We are already looking forward to seeing you again (and next time maybe we can hang out with Dad too).

No comments: