Home

Monday, April 25, 2011

The price of gas isn't worth the price of friendship

Last night as we were drifting off to sleep I asked my husband what I should blog about today. Speaking of which, isn't "blog" a funny word? It's the "g." The letter "g" has this uncanny ability to make words funny: frog, goofy, garage, gamble, and here's a doozy, giggle.

Ahem.

Anyway, I asked the hubby about a subject. He said I should write about the price of gas. I told him that if I was going to write about something in the popular media it would be about the Royal Wedding. Because well really, do I need a "because?" Then I asked him if he had heard anything recently about what is going on in Japan (you know, while we were on the subject of popular media). Neither of us had heard much. You see, we have all moved on.

It's kind of incredible how short our attention span is. I get it. I'm there too. We all have really busy lives to live. That's why we have things like blogs, Facebook, and Twitter. That way we can update our status and let the people we love in on our lives. Then if we find time we can check up on our loved ones as well. Who has time for a whole phone conversation (I'm horrible at phone conversations, I have a phobia of the phone) let alone a lunch date with friends?

I have family that lives out here close to us. I think the last time I saw any of them was the first week in January. I'm so bad at keeping in touch with people. Even the people I love.

My cousin Jared, sister Sera, Me, and my husband Ammon at my brother, Nick's, football game.

But this very short conversation with my husband got me thinking. The goal of this blog is to help us all create happy, healthy lives. And one subject I've never explored is the importance of making time for meaningful relationships.

So as a society we have a short attention span because we are B.U.S.Y. We have a million things that must get done today. Time is ticking. And I am including myself in this category. Time is a scarce commodity.

I get that. I really do. But my favorite memories (the ones in which I am the happiest) are when I was taking time to connect with someone. Those times when I went to lunch with a high school or college friend, or when my sister and I sat in my living room and reminisced about growing up, going on hikes with my family, having a wrestling match with my toddler (even when the laundry, dishes, and vacuuming needed some attention) are the happiest times in my life.

I love the sense of accomplishment when I cross something off my "to-do" list. And things do, indeed, need to get done. But perhaps we should slow down a little and take time to be a friend and a family member before the opportunities pass us by. The dishes will wait, I promise.