Home

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Glance Backward as we Move Forward

Originally posted January 5, 2011


I am still a little in shock that we are in the new year. I don't even have a real calendar up in my home yet. I still have December 2011 hanging up because of the very small January 2012 block that it holds.  I spent the days after Christmas mourning the fact that Christmas was over. I had convinced myself when I first got pregnant that I just had to make it to Christmas and the baby would practically be here. Well, we still have 2 months before baby gets here.
But now that the new year is here I feel overwhelmed with things I want to accomplish before the baby does indeed arrive. But I have so enjoyed reading reflections that others are sharing from their 2011 that I decided to wax nostalgic for just a moment before barreling ahead at full speed. I read the following questions from Teacher Goes Back to School and decided to link up and join in.
What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Opened a little home yoga studio and started teaching. I love, love, love to teach.
 Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I think I made several resolutions, but I only remember one: write in my journal every day. I only missed one day in 2011 so I feel like I was successful. I'll only be making one this year as well: practice yoga every day. I think just setting one goal and putting my whole self into it is a better solution for me. I thought long and hard about this year's resolution. Yoga inspires me to be healthier and happier in many, many ways so I feel like it is more than just a bit of exercise. It's putting my health first.
 Did anyone close to you give birth?

I actually didn't gain any nieces or nephews this year, which is saying a lot. But I did have a cousin who had a baby.
Did anyone close to you die?
Not too close. No.
What countries did you visit?
Ha. Countries? I was lucky to make it out of the state this year.
What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More yoga teaching opportunities. I want to teach more both at home and in other places.
What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
This is a horrible question for me. I can't remember my anniversary. Seriously. I have to ask my husband each January, "Now what day was it again?" So really, this is hard. It was really a mellow year, nothing too significant happened.
What was your biggest failure?
Sometimes I think my neglect of this blog the last few months has been my biggest failure.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual fibromyalgia and fatigue, but that's becoming nothing new.
What was the best thing you bought?
My jogging stroller. We spent hours walking the neighborhood. Great exercise and stress relief. I love to walk.
 Where did most of your money go?
Bills. Isn't that where everyone's money goes?
What did you get really excited about?
Being pregnant! New baby on the way. And a girl! What is more exciting than that?
What song will always remind you of 2011?
Hmm . . . Probably "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele.
Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter?Richer or poorer?
Certainly happier. Life just keeps getting better. I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin. Even though I'm fatter (to answer the next question). I prefer not to say "fatter" so much as "pregnanter." And on the whole we are probably richer. We most certainly are in the things that matter most (which isn't money).
What do you wish you’d done more of?

Fun crafts and projects with Cormac. And more yoga. Always more yoga.
What do you wish you’d done less of?

Painting. But only because I'm burned out; I have so much more to paint on this house.
How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas was spent going to church, opening presents, eating yummy snacks and a good dinner,  playing with my son, and snuggling with my husband. We even all got a good nap in. Such a wonderful day.
What was your favorite TV program?
Confession: we don't have a TV. Well, we do have this tiny little thing, but we don't watch it. But we do watch Hulu from time to time and we enjoy Modern Family a lot.
What were your favorite books of the year?
I didn't read nearly as much as I would have liked to this year. But as far as this blog goes, my favorite book was "Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight," by Linda Bacon. Very eye opening. On a more entertainment level, I enjoyed the Hunger Games series very much as well as The Help.
What was your favorite music from this year?

It seems like I was really burned out this year with most music. I enjoyed listening to Adele some. But really, I spent a lot of time with the music off (a lot more than usual).
What were your favorite films of the year?
I didn't see too many. I enjoyed The Tourist. There are several movies that were released recently that I'd still like to see.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
This year for my 28th birthday my dear husband led me on a scavenger hunt that will forever be one of my most treasured memories. It was wonderful. I also got my hair cut (it had been nearly 10 months since I'd had a trim). I went to a church activity as well. A day later we went to see Christmas lights as a family which I loved.
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More yoga. I needed to be better about getting on my mat.
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
If it's not comfortable then I don't want it on. And I've suddenly become very interested in doing my hair every day. Usually when it's long it's always in a pony tail, but not lately.
What kept you sane?
My husband and son. They are wonderful. Also hypnosis for childbirth has been a huge help in keeping me calm and at ease about this pregnancy. I highly recommend it.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

There is a season for all things in life. Right now I need to focus on the things that I can control and need to do. As a mother of a young child (soon to be young children) my first priority is my family. This is the season for me to take care of us. Other things can wait. Children don't wait, they grow up. I need to live in the now and enjoy every moment of now. Put things on hold that can wait, enjoy those that can't.
+++++
Want to play along? Either answer here in the comments or do a post of your own and link back here. Tell me all about your 2011.