Home

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Media Buzz

Originally posted August 18, 2011


Did you know there are a lot of interesting things going on in the body image world? I'm a little slow to jump on one. Have you heard about the article that appeared in the magazine "Glamour" by Jess Weiner called "Loving my body almost killed me." As you can imagine with a provocative title like that it has caused quite a stir among the good folks that blog along side me in favor of loving your body.
There has already been a lot said on this subject, so at the end of this post I'll refer you to the many awesome posts written in response. My response is like all the others: How can you possibly claim to love your body when you don't take care of it? From what I can tell Ms. Weiner wasn't exactly doing what she ought to be doing. She hadn't seen a doctor in years, was eating poorly, and wasn't exercising. Sounds to me like she was ignoring her body rather than loving it. But I'll let you read all the arguments to figure out what you think for yourself.
But have you seen what else has recently hit the media? Have you heard about the "Anti-Cosmetic Surgery League" that has been formed by Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, and Rachel Weisz? How cool is this? I love that these women are taking a stance. My favorite quote from the rather small article:
"I am an actress, I don't want to freeze the expression of my face," Winslet said.
Agreed. In any profession. Why would you want to look the same forever. Have little to no expression. And as was put in the article:
Weisz said that people "who look too perfect don't look sexy or particularly beautiful."
Amen to that. Check out the article. Let's all get on board. Hooray for getting older and beauty in every stage of life.
Be sure to check out these amazing posts:
Please feel free to add more links in the comments if you know of other articles. I'd love to read them.