Home

Sunday, August 29, 2010

I meant no neglect

Hello to all. I hope you will forgive my absence the last week. Things have been a little on the crazy side over here and I didn't have it in me to write. We've had a health scare, truck problems, pet problems, colds, and other less than pleasant things on our plate these days. My family always said that bad things come in threes. We have learned that sometimes they come in sixes as well.

Alas, I am sorry to say that through all of this I have been turning to food for comfort and have been beating myself up more than before. It has been hard. I realize what I have been doing and yet have had little to no motivation to stop myself. I guess I struggle to live what I preach, which is sort of pathetic. It has made me realize that even though I was doing so well for a while, these things are still a very conscious effort for me. When I need my efforts to go elsewhere I give up on myself pretty fast in order to cope. I'm guessing coping could be easier if I didn't give up, but one step at a time. I knew that learning to like myself would be a process. Like all processes, we take a few steps forward and a few steps back, but the hope is that we are taking more forward than backward steps. I believe that I am generally moving forward, but it is slow going. At least it is right now.

So I hope you will excuse me and allow me to attempt to put the pieces back together this week as I move forward. Things are good. Through all of this we have had many good things happen as well. It has just been a little overwhelming of late. I may elaborate more in the future, but for right now I don't have the heart. Let's just say that where the health is concerned, we now have more questions than answers. Rats. But life goes on. If you would like to share ways that you deal with bad news that seem to work and help you stay positive, I would love to read them (I'm sure everyone else would as well). We could all use some help coping from time to time.

2 comments:

Thelma said...

My best coping strategy--for pretty much everything-- is 2 Nephi 4, starting about verse 16 and continuing through the end of the chapter.

You are in my prayers, dear girl. Be kind to yourself. I love you.

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I'm sorry things were so hard last week. Know that we love you and are here for you if you need anything.

Like you, my best coping mechanism is food. I wish I had something to offer to help, but I too struggle with the need to eat when things get stressful or I'm lonely or tired or..... Hang in there. It is a process. One step at a time.

StacyC