Home

Monday, April 30, 2012

Finding someone to click with

Originally posted June 30, 2011



I have been unable to write since Tuesday's post. I'm struggling to move past it. I think I need to elaborate on one point so I can rest easy with what I said. Namely this paragraph:
I guess the point I’m trying to make is that our health is entirely personal. No one should tell us what is and isn’t best for our bodies. Doctors can make suggestions. We can read the books on good nutrition. We can learn how to move our bodies to exercise that we enjoy from a teacher or instructor. But none of these resources (who are likely just trying to help) live in your body. . . You are the only one that knows what feels good and what doesn’t.
Let me be very clear, I do not believe that seeing a doctor or nutritionist is ever a bad idea. Nor do I believe that you should just assume you know how to do an exercise without the proper training from a teacher or instructor. No, these professionals do what they do (for the most part) because they care about people and want you to be well.
What I mean by doing what feels best has more to do with finding a doctor or health professional that clicks with you. Find someone who listens, truly listens. You need to be able to communicate with this person when something they prescribed just doesn't feel right. And it's okay to seek a second opinion as well.
Listening to your body is about finding solutions that work for you. And that includes finding a doctor that cares about what you care about.