I am excited to introduce the amazing Mara from Medicinal Marzipan. She has graciously agreed to grace us with her presence here today. Enjoy!
Have you ever been so busy running around, striking things off of your to do list, taking care of everyone around you, that you forget to take a second to celebrate the things that make you unique? Sometimes I will find myself storming around, “being productive,” but so out of touch with myself that I completely forget I have needs outside of things I need to get done. Thus, this summer, I have promised myself that I would cut myself a little slack and dedicate some time everyday to love myself. This is a major self-esteem booster, but it also helps to remind you to slow down, create your own space, and remember that you are important too!
1. Buy yourself a new CD. Create yourself a stellar Pandora station. Make yourself a new playlist of all of your old favorites. Turn off the voice that says your favorite song just isn’t cool, or the one that tells you what you really SHOULD be listening to. Crank the radio up to top volume. Jump around, dance by yourself, scream your favorite lyrics at the top of your lungs.
2. Find yourself an outfit that makes you feel like your very best self, whatever that may mean to you. Do you have a secret hankering to feel sexy? Sturdy? Butch? Girly? Adult? Find or buy yourself something that fits and flatters your body. Get dressed up. Strut. Repeat.
3. Play with children, animals, or your friends. Run around with reckless abandon. Remember what it feels like to get called in off the playground, sweaty and ready to fall asleep the minute your head hits the pillow. Take your shoes off, and feel your toes in the grass or sand. Play a game that you haven’t played since you were a kid. Get out the chalk and draw yourself up a hopscotch board.
4. Do something nice for someone else, without expecting anything in return. Bring them flowers, make an old school mixtape with all of their favorite songs, clean up their room, or do their laundry. Making someone else feel loved boosts your own self-love. You are a generous, loving, and wonderful person! Give your love freely and without wondering what goodies you’ll get in return. I promise that when you’re selfless and forthcoming you will get that back tenfold.
5. Tell your family how much you love them, whether they are nuclear, extended, or adopted. Forgive people for those grudges that you’re holding on to with a clenched fist. Free up the energy that you’ve been keeping wrapped up in anger and frustration. Hold a mini (safe) bonfire and burn up all those love letters from an Ex who dumped you. Clear out old stuff cluttering up your living space. Let it all go.
6. Do something that really makes you feel special. Invest in your talents. Buy yourself the most perfect sketchbook that you’ve been coveting from afar, or the AV cable that you need to stream your I-pod to your car stereo. Spend the afternoon learning how to use HTML to make your blog even better. You are so worth it - revel in that feeling.
7. Tell all of your friends about something that has been really inspirational to you. Read a little blog that doesn’t have many followers? Had a session with a therapist that changed your life? Found a delicious new snack at the grocery store? Tell EVERYONE. Share the wealth.
What are your favorite things to do to make yourself feel special and loved?