Home

Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Universal

Image from here.


In one of my literature classes I remember discussing the following concept: That which is most personal is most universal. At the time it made sense, but didn't seem to apply to my life. The idea was that when we write about personal things it is more powerful than when we don't. I get it now.

I get emails and comments all the time from people telling me how much they appreciate me telling my very personal story. Then each one of these people tell me that they get it. They've been there. They feel exactly the same way. It's interesting. All of us have been held up to the measuring stick and found wanting. Each story tells about a mother who didn't care for her own body and then her children took it to an extreme level. Or of the pressure from friends to look a certain way. Or watching T.V. and feeling like you just don't have what it takes. Or. . .

Everything I share on this blog pertains to me and my particular situation. When I share quotes or findings it is because it meant something to me. It gave me an "ah ha" moment. Yet my readers seem to get those moment too.

Something else that is interesting, we have all bought into this whole image thing. As I think we have already established, it's all about money. But I believe it is more than that. I believe that now it is a culture thing. Since I have decided to attempt to stop dieting, obsessing, and otherwise body bash I have often felt left out of certain circles and conversations.

Here's the funny thing about it, from what people tell me, you all want to stop too. But we all feel peer pressure to keep going on this destructive trail. These have just been a few of my observations the last few months. It's interesting.

So, what has helped me to be okay feeling left out and to commit to this anyway? Because let's face it, sometimes it's hard to remember that I truly do want this for myself. Well, one is my child. I don't want him to ever feel like he isn't good enough. Study after study has shown that children feel about themselves the way their parents feel about their own bodies. Something else that is interesting, men have a huge influence over how girls and women feel. So if you had a father or brother who was hard on you that may have influenced you.

Back to what I was saying. My son is motivation. But even more than that, sharing my story is motivating. Getting feedback from readers is motivating. It is making a huge difference. Knowing that people are watching to see if I can pull this off is helping me so much.

I thought I'd share those motivators today because if it is helping me in my personal situation, perhaps it could help you in yours. After all, that which is most personal is most universal.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Definitely motivating!